If cats have a loving home, they have it made. The world is their domain and they let you know that from day one. Don’t get me wrong, cats work hard. They are responsible for morning wake-up calls, letting you know it is time to feed them and scoop their litter. They may also do some pest protection by finding a spider or fly on occasion, and God forbid a mouse or mole and can dust the furniture with a well placed tail swish. Oh, and they surveil like the best undercover cop, meeting you at the door and trailing you around the house winding in and out, in front, above and from behind. All knowing and not telling.
For a cat, work is not a career, just a necessary dalliance. It humors them more than fulfills their spirit. What cats love to do is relax. Here are few tips from my Sophie’s Master Class.
- Find a sunny spot on the floor, be mindful and take a nap.
- Find a box or bag and crawl inside, do cat/cow and take a nap.
- Run like a gazelle, or better still a herd of horses, upstairs, across the bed, under the bed, down the stairs, slide like Kramer across the living room floor, jump on Mom’s chair while she is reading the paper and take a nap.
- Sit beside the computer. Lay on the mouse. Chew on a binder clip and knock it off the desk. Bat at something on the screen. Lay on the keys and take a nap.
- Run and jump like a fox on Mom’s bed at 3 am. When she stops kicking, lay on her legs and stare at her until she wakes from her nap. Then lay on her pillow and TAKE A NAP!
I’m going to take a nap…zzz…zzz